Thursday, October 25, 2012

MY ART PASSION AT AN EARLY AGE IN LIFE


  MY ART PASSION AT AN EARLY AGE IN LIFE
 




    My passion for art has always been deeply rooted when I was young, at the age of 4.
I can still remember sitting down with a pack of crayons, and bursting at the seams to fill
that blank white paper. I also found that by blending them together I could create a color that I did not have. That was a very exciting thing for me.

     I was always doodling with sketches and I spent many hours over the course of time in grade school sitting outside the room in the hall for not focusing on my studies.  I did learn, but my passion was always focused on art.


    I continued to sketch only in my art classes during high school. I did not want to waste my time with having to take beginners art classes or intermediate, so I told them I had taken these classes so I could get into the advanced art class.

    While in my senior class in high school I had painted two paintings and entered them in the fair and won 1st and 2nd place for both paintings at the age of 19.
 
"Old Iron Sides"
Painted Feb 28 1974
1st place ribbon won August 1974
 
 
"Homestead"
Painted May 1974
2nd place ribbon won August 1974
 
 
     My parents were very supportive of my art, but in hopes I would grow out of it, and focus more in business during college.
    I then later went to college at Evergreen State for Commercial art business and advertisement while working at the Credit Union.
After I finished college, my first job was the K2 ski company on Vashon Island in designing ski tops.
     The art design that was created for the ski tops, were all done by hand as we did not have computers then. After the image was created by hand, it was all hand cut out and transferred to a silk screen for printing. Each color was done on a separate screen.
I helped designed the“mids”and the “comps” during the late 70’s and early 80’s.
 



 
      
 
    I continued to paint paintings while on Vashon and sold them local in restaurants and offices.
    After getting married, then moving to Port Orchard I went back into the banking business, as the graphic art industry was not an easy time to get a job. There I worked in banking using the left side of brain for next 25 years while raising a family, but my right side was always my passion so I continued to study art and take more classes while working at the bank and continued to sell art.
 
     After kids were older I started to have open studio art shows from my home once a year in May. I had my original art sent to New Jersey and had prints done. I was now able to sell numbered prints during my open studio show.  I continued to do that for 10 years. Until commiting to more galleries.
     Today I paint in the mediums of watercolor, acrylic and oil and I work in an office and studio from home. I continue to study watercolor, acrylic and oil. I invested in a giclee printer a few years back, image my own work and now print from my home.
     Running an art business from home, I spend more time doing bookwork,  imaging art work, photo shop, marketing, and still I have to make time to paint. Keeping up on my art productions to maintain good with the galleries in providing new works and to maintain my artist clientele is very important for an artist career.
    I find my art business,  going to work a 9 to 5 job and sometimes longer, I get up at 6am in winter and 5am in summer. Hours can be long depending on orders, commissions and galleries. I also take advantage of travel and focus on getting photos for my next inspiration for new works. I go to bed and wake up sometimes at 3am and have an idea of a painting I want to paint or when I’m stuck, I have the plan on what to do to make it work…..
 
For more information check out my website at martigreen.com
  “Passion in life” … do your passion as life is short.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment